We understand how it is. Your life is moving along as usual and then without warning, you get into a hit and run accident that turns your life upside down. And whether it’s a serious or relatively minor collision, it’s still a big deal with major consequences.
What to Do After a Hit and Run
Before anything else, you need to make sure you’re safe after a hit and run. Seek medical attention and make sure to get a full report of your injuries from the doctors. After you’re safe, do the following:
- Take photos of the damage to your car. Do this before taking it to the mechanic in order to document the full extent of the damage.
- Write down the location and time of the accident.
- Call the police. They need to file an official accident report. If you can do this while still on the scene of the accident, that’s good. If not, still call them afterwards.
- Write down any information you have about the other driver. That includes their license plate number and the make, model, and color of their car.
- Get an experienced and compassionate hit and run lawyer. This step is key to ensure you get justice – and the compensation you deserve.
What to Know When Hiring a Hit and Run Attorney
A good lawyer will be with you through every step of the process. From filing your claim to dealing with insurance, KFB Law is here for you. Leave the heavy lifting to us while you focus on recovery.
There are also several special considerations when dealing with hit and run accident cases. These are just a few that we account for:
- Have the police been able to identify the hit and run driver, and if so, have they been charged?
- Was there a red light camera at the intersection, or in the case of a parking lot accident, was there a security camera at a nearby store?
- Where did the hit and run driver go after leaving?
Our hit and run lawyers will advise you of all the special investigative steps we’ll need to take along the way.
Handling Medical Costs
KFB Law will also help you find relief for medical care and transportation costs. If you’re unsure of how you’ll be able to afford medical care after your accident, call us.
There are several different ways to help with your medical care cost.
- First, we look to your auto insurance policy and use your PIP (personal injury protection benefits). It’s important to get medical care within 14 days of a car accident. If you don’t you could risk losing up to $7,500 in medical benefits.
- Next, if you have health insurance, we could use that to help pay for your medical care. We’ll help figure out what insurance owes you.
- Finally, we look to the person or corporation responsible for your hit and run accident if possible. We’ll see if their insurance coverage is enough for your expenses.
Even if we cannot find the other driver, you may have insurance under your own automobile policy for a hit and run accident.
Don’t Wait – Contact Us
So, if you or a family member has been injured because of a hit and run driver, you should seek the advice of an experienced personal injury lawyer as early as possible.
Issues related to personal injury law, insurance coverage, and claims of negligence and damages are complicated. We provide legal representation that puts your interests first, protects your rights, and seeks to resolve the problems that come with being involved in a hit and run accident.
Schedule your free consultation today.